Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"Whoa! It's like package-palooza tonight!"

Many things going on in my brain over the last few days.

We may have found the church that's just the fit for us. Granted, we've only been there a few times, but another few and we may have a decision made. It's hard making this change. I've been at my current church since I was 15 and up until the last couple years, it's been a productive and worth-while experience. Lately though, things just aren't synching with me...or with Todd.

All that aside, we're excited when we go to this other church and the lead pastor is really charismatic and knowledgable, which we both love. The music is...different that what I'm used to. Shockingly, I'm not put-off by this. I'm used to your standard "Christian rock" style and this church has more of a jazzy-jam-band feel, which is....relaxing. It makes it easy to sink into the music comfortably and reflectively.

Both the message and the music are essential for Todd and me. Music is where I get the most out of church (being the right-brained person that I am) and Todd gets the most out of spoken word (being the analytical person that he is).

Also interesting is the age range at this church. I walk in and the vast majority of the people that I see are our age (late-20s/early-30s) with some smatterings of kids and older parents (50s and up). I like that.

More on all that later...probably.
____________________________________________________________________

How would you describe a deep person? Question posed this weekend. I have a friend that is probably one of the deepest, most passionate, most elusive people I've ever met. She fascinates me. Ask her a question about any topic and she'll have an answer that is surprisingly far from what you though it would be, but right on the money. She doesn't change the topic...just takes it in a different direction. She makes me think. And when I sit down to have a real conversation with her, I often find myself wondering how it is she became who she is and how can I get more of what she has. Don't read that wrong. I don't want to BE her...I want to be deep LIKE her. She pushes the limits of conversation and thought, in all the right ways.

How would you describe a deep person? The answer posed this weekend was "Someone with faith, hope, and love"...
I'm coming to think that's a pretty accurate description, regardless of creed.
_____________________________________________________________________

I'm reading a book right now called Eats, Shoots and Leaves. It's hilarious. And I can think of exactly ZERO people that would enjoy it as much as me. It's a book all about the necessity of proper punctuation. That's right. I'm reading a book about commas, semi-colons, and parantheses. Last year, I read a book called Woe Is I which is equally as dorky and is all about the proper use to pronouns...probably one of my bigger pet peeves is incorrect pronoun usage. Unless, of course, the person at fault is 3 years old, in which case it's hilarious, but should be corrected so they don't keep saying it wrong (just think of how a toddler can screw up possessive pronouns. It's a riot!).

Wow. I am one big ol' dork. I kind of love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insert your words here: