Thursday, January 31, 2008

What a small world!...and yet, I've never run into Beyonce.....

Had Spanish class last night. This semester, the class is 2hours a night, 2 nights a week. Last summer, it was 3.5hours a night, 4 nights a week. Frankly, how on God's green earth did I ever manage to suffer through that class? I'm getting my butt handed to me and finding that I'm doing all the things my mother taught me never to do when learning a language...the primary rule: NEVER translate....simply speak. What's really funny is that I can read and hear Spanish like nobody's business, but when it comes to speaking it? I don't really stand a chance right now. Thankfully, I have a brother and a mom who are both fluent and Daniel is fluent in about every dialect imaginable. I need to use his knowledge while I still have it...he moves to Colombia in March, then it's off to Japan...probably indefinitely, given his "appreciation" for the Japanese culture.

On a bit of a tangent, I'm quickly coming to realize how much I'm going to miss Daniel when he's gone. Sure, Jessie is gone too, but she's much more accessible and we've always been able to chat on the phone (yay for in-network calls!). Daniel and I have always had more of a "let's grab a beer" relationship and we talk much better face-to-face. Much of that is due to his inability to make a damn phone call when he's out of the country haha!

I'm going to digress from Spanish a bit now, but note that this next section comes from an incident that occurred last night during my class.

I really don't like snowboarders. Yes, I have friends that are boarders, but for the most part, I really don't like the stereotypical snowboarder. They're cocky and irresponsible....and behave very juveniley (is that even a word?). Of the 30+ students in my Spanish class, 4, yes FOUR, of us are over the age of 19. It's uncomfortable most nights. Last night, I heard the following statements regarding snowboarding:

1. "Dude, who gets a job during boarding season?!"
2. "Yeah, I'm only 18 and I live with my parents so I don't need to work."
3. "It's so easy to borrow someone else's pass...just wear goggles or say that you found it on the mountain!"
4. "Dude, this one time, I got caught and they almost called the police so I had to tell the truth cuz I had weed in my jacket."

Dear God. I almost had to leave class just from that last statement.
I mean, I've known my fair share of snowboarders....a few years ago, some of my closest friends were boarders from Breckenridge. Sure, we were young and did stupid things, but one thing is for sure...my two friends, Tom and Jay (don't laugh, those were really their names), were at least responsible stoner snowboarders. They'd get lit before hitting the slopes and had the sense of mind to "leave that s**t" either in the car or at home (they had the pleasure of being able to live in Breckenridge as many of us don't). Oh and they wore helmets. But that's beside the point. The point is, if you're going to be a moron, at least be smart about it. Sheesh.

1 comment:

  1. I'll tell you what I told you via text message.

    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick.

    ReplyDelete

Insert your words here: