Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I need you to set me up for a joke later....

Well, the stress has finally been handed to me. Man alive, taking all that time off from school may have done more harm than good. I had forgotten what it was like to be under this particular type of stress. Yes, I did have all the stress from the wedding (which is still hammering at me from time to time), but for the most part, I really enjoyed dealing with all of that stuff. So the stress was manageable.

School stress is just as easily managed, but it takes some getting used to again. I'm having to make a VERY concerted effort to get things done and not wait until the last minute. So I take most of my lunch breaks to do homework instead of reading or hanging with my girl friends at work. Friday is really the only day when I can take a lunch truly for myself and not have to do school work.

On top of all of that, when I started running a couple weeks ago, I think I really started to destroy my knees. I'm in pain all the time. Today, I literally cannot walk more than 3 steps without searing pain ripping at my knees. It really sucks. I tried to run with a brace the other day and that didn't do any good. Corwin says I need to have a gait test done at Runner's Roost and make sure that I get the proper type of shoes. I also think it might not be such a bad idea to get arch supports like what Todd got a while ago. I'm just in way too much pain for how young I am. And I do NOT want to give up on running the Bolder Boulder this year, or ever.

2 comments:

  1. Micah, I've asked Phill what you should do. In a nutshell, a good running store will do a gait test and get you into a great pair of running shoes. That would be a start. Stretching is also important. But if your knees hurt when you walk, because of running, you need to stop running and need to see a go to the doctor. Shoes could be a key issue; however, pain is the body's way of telling you that something is very wrong. Phill also said that your legs might not be strong enough and you might need to lift weights to get your legs to a point where your knees can take the abuse caused by running. So, stop running and go to the doctor before you do something very bad to your knees. A sports doc preferably. In the meantime, put ice packs on your knees and take an anti-inflammatory. I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you'll kick *ss this semester! We're certain of it... you love what you're studying. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Insert your words here: