Sunday, January 15, 2012

On getting some answers....

I’m the type of person that always wants to be “in the know.” I love knowing about the newest restaurants or latest fashion, even the best beers. It’s part of why I read magazines like Vanity Fair and 5280. I just want to know what’s going on around me.   

Unfortunately, this can also sort of bite me in the ass from time to time. Wanting (sometimes even needing) to know everything can often involve knowing too much, being given information I didn’t realize I didn’t want until after I already had it. And, like with the B-team at a strip club, you can’t unknow something.   

It’s a “be careful what you ask for” situation, that’s for sure. Yes, there are great bonuses to being in the know. I’ve been the person before that people come to first for restaurant suggestions. I know a fair amount about beer and wine, so when someone has a question, I can usually answer with a reasonable amount of certainty. And let’s not forget about wedding and party planning. I have those answers tucked away, Rainman-style. But there can be drawbacks to knowing too much. Information sometimes hurts. It’s the major underlying issue with asking questions, isn’t it? How many times have I been told (or even said): don’t ask questions you don’t want answers to.   

So I have to learn to temper my insatiable appetite for information. Because the reality is, there are some questions I simply do not want the answers to.

If you enjoyed this post, Follow this Blog or subscribe (below) to receive updates.
Subscribe



Contact Use.The.Clutch
Follow micahdl on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insert your words here: