Saturday, January 21, 2012

On bearing the scars....

"No one cares about the hero until the hero has a crisis to overcome...that's when the story begins."

Someone from my distant past said that to me several weeks ago and it's caused me great pause in my own life, reflecting on what has happened in the last few months. I've experience the full breadth of emotions in that time: sadness, fear, anger, loneliness, disgust, regret, empathy, wistfulness, hope, shame. You name it, I've felt it.

In the midst of all that, it's been hard, but I'm trying to re-discover who I am. I'm not trying to re-define myself or turn into someone I know I'm not. I think I've just been trying to reacquaint myself with myself. 

So who am I? 
I'm a homebody that loves a good night on the town. I'm a Jesus-loving girl that enjoys going to church not just for the spiritual aspects, but for the friendship. I am not a city girl, but I love being in the city for small bursts of time. I am a family girl, but they drive me crazy sometimes and, in those moments, I don't feel guilty for wanting a break from them...even if that break lasts for a week or more at a time. I am very independent, but every now and again, I need to know that I can depend on someone else. I can be, and sometimes am, a very selfish person. I get angry at things and people and situations that I should direct my anger at. For lack of better words: "I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child...I'm a sinner, I'm a saint."
I have as many bad qualities as I do good. It's a matter of learning to exhibit the good and minimize the bad. It's learning to be okay when someone points out the bad and being able to recognize it on my own. 

It's understanding how I've been hurt and realizing where I failed and the hurt I caused. 
I am hurt and lonely. But I am also hurtful. 
I will take that feeling with me wherever I go and I will surely take it into my future. But rather than wallow in it, I will choose to feel it fully, learn from it, and move on. 
It's the only way anything will make sense.


If you enjoyed this post, Follow this Blog or subscribe (below) to receive updates.
Subscribe



Contact Use.The.Clutch
Follow micahdl on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. wow. thank you for sharing.

    not that we're in the same boat or anything, but i think we're kind of in the same place of discovery. it's not that we don't know who we are, we just haven't taken the time to look in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't taken the time, or haven't HAD the time...either way, the journey to self-re-discovery starts here. And if you ever want to do that over a cocktail or pizza, you know where I am...

      Delete

Insert your words here: