Monday, December 31, 2007

A Year in Review



2007 was a big one, frankly. I learned a lot, did a lot, spent a lot, but mostly enjoyed a lot.

I began to learn that Valentines Day, while highly commercialized, isn't at all evil.
Learned the value of patience and that when one has it, surprises come easily and more unexpectedly.
Ate some really amazing food and didn't go to chain restaurants but maybe a handful of times.
Lived with two of the most amazing women I've ever met.
Made a very tall, very funny, very smart friend.
Discovered that processing death is not only important, but necessary and that doing it with a good friend and a good cup of coffee usually works best.
Was reminded of why I love my family so much.
Made sure to laugh a whole bunch and had plenty of lines to show for it in many many pictures.
Remembered that just because I don't see some of my friends very often doesn't mean they aren't a very real presence.
Found out that sometimes, church doesn't make any sense.
Learned that change is inevitable and necessary and really really hard.
Finally saw that things almost never go as planned and that I just have to be happy with the way things DO happen.
Gained a much greater appreciation for time spent with my extended family.
Took a substantial amount of time away from school and found that I miss the learning a lot.
Watched a lot of documentaries with three very smart boys and learned a lot about the world and subsequently myself.
Friendships change, evolve, dissolve, and are created.
Discovered that venting to someone who's in the same boat as me really makes it all seem better.
Watched Todd travel internationally for the first time.
Saw Todd in elements where he's most comfortable, most uncomfortable, and most ambivalent that learned that I have know what those are.
Marriage is hard, but planning the wedding harder.
Weddings are fun, but being married is much more fun.
Tried cheap beer for probably the first time and, shockingly, didn't hate it.
Worked really really hard on my fitness, succeeded, fell of the bandwagon, and jumped right back on, full-force. And it HURT.
Began to recognize things about myself that I really don't like and started working on them.
Sometimes, it's best to keep certain things to myself.
Went to quite a few pro sporting events and loved every single second of it.
Talked at length with various kindergartners and discovered that they can make any crappy day turn right around.
Coloring in the lines is sometimes the only real problem. Everything else is insignificant, at best.
Fighting helps. Mediation makes it work.
Love isn't really all you need, but it sure makes life's challenges easier to bear.

1 comment:

Insert your words here: