Tuesday, November 1, 2011

On becoming a monster....


It's no secret that I like cookies. In fact, I probably love them. My default cookie is a classic Oreo. None of this Double Stuff or backwards or even mint Oreo nonsense. Just plain old Oreos. I love them. I could eat an entire sleeve and probably wouldn't feel all that bad about it (I have a similar physical reaction toward pizza).

But there's just nothing quite like a homemade cookie, is there? I spent about four years of my life trying to recreate a grocery store sugar cookie. You know...the super soft ones with way too much frosting? They're so delicious, it hurts. And I needed to be able to make them. So several years and many discarded batches of dough later, I was able to figure it out (and it's my little secret).

My favorite cookie to make is chocolate chip...I'm still working through some issues with that one. I can't seem to get the consistency right, though the flavor - admittedly - is amazing. That's due, in large part, to replacing one ingredient with a slightly different one (another of my little secrets).

Gingerbread, shortbread, and oatmeal-raisin are among several others that I love making.

But if I had to choose a favorite cookie, it wouldn't be a cookie at all. You see, my life essentially revolves around Christmas baking and this comes from my dad's love of holiday baking. He's a master in the kitchen when it comes to just about any kind of cooking or baking. He taught me how to make my first sugar cookie, so I have a special place in my heart for that one. But he makes the most incredible fruitcake you'll ever have the joy of tasting.

Put aside all your bullsh*t notions of fruitcakes you can build homes with or using them as gag gifts. My dad's fruitcake (which is a recipe that's been passed down for at least three generations) is the baked good that I most look forward to. It only happens once a year (though once I did request it for my birthday cake...and got it...in May) so the anticipation really starts building right about....now.

If only it could be Christmas season tomorrow....or always....!


If you enjoyed this post, Follow this Blog or subscribe (below) to receive updates.
Subscribe



Contact Use.The.Clutch
Follow micahdl on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insert your words here: