Monday, November 14, 2011

On alternate career choices....

My very first college major choice was secondary education. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. Well, that's not entirely true. I wanted to teach English. The problem is that when I made that choice, I had just come off a summer internship wherein I discovered that I kind of can't handle kids, of any age. That opinion has changed markedly in the 10+ years since my internship, but I still can't figure out why I thought teaching would be a good idea.

I'm sure it has everything to do with my passion for the English language. I just want people to understand it, to speak and write it well, to generally sound intelligent when speaking their native language. Is that too much to ask?!

Probably not. In fact, since graduating last year, I have often flirted with the idea of going back to school to get my Master's in, you guess it, English. More specifically, English Writing & Rhetoric. Even more specifically, I'd get my teaching license in conjunction with my Master's. Maybe I'd never use a teaching license, but I think it's something that might be good to have in my back pocket. Who knows? If I'm really honest about it, I'd only ever get my teaching license in the hopes of moving somewhere far away and exotic to teach English...like Kyoto or Paris or anywhere really.

Not so long ago, when I was looking for a new job, I even thought about teaching at my (now-defunct) high school. I would have loved to teach middle school English...that age just sounds fun to me. Young enough to be maleable, yet old enough to have some semblance of an opinion. I now understand why my sister loves working with that age group so much. I could definitely get behind teaching junior highers.

So while I'm not sure I'll ever go the teacher route, I'm reasonably certain that I could love teaching English.

If you enjoyed this post, Follow this Blog or subscribe (below) to receive updates.
Subscribe



Contact Use.The.Clutch
Follow micahdl on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insert your words here: