Wednesday, January 20, 2010

On unexplained cravings....

There comes a time in every person's day when a craving hits. Totally inexplicable, these cravings.

I have them from time to time. And by that, I mean approximately once an hour, typically while I'm at the office.

I wish I could say that I crave the things I truly love...baby carrots, celery, cucumbers, green apples (of the Granny Smith variety), bananas, raspberries, strawberries. My word, I love produce. I mean, I LOVE produce. There is no way to describe my affinty for all things fresh and totally unhampered by all the things I truly hate...trans-fat, empty calories, complex carbs, and most especially, high fructose corn syrup (or, as I like to call it, The Devil's Syrup).

I have oft been described as a yuppie hippie. I wash my laundry in cold water, I almost always have my car in neutral coming down the hill from my office, I buy local, I support sustainable agriculture, blah blah blah. But it's the HFCS that tends to really throw people. I mean, I really really hate it. So much so, that if you were to look inside my fridge or pantry, you'd be hard-pressed to find much in there with the Devil's Syrup in it.

So what does this have to do with my cravings?

A lot.

Because I crave candy.

Excessively.

And the biggest facilitator of my cravings? Laffy Taffy.

Anyone want to guess what the first listed ingredient is?

Gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insert your words here: