Monday, December 19, 2011

On the end of an era (mostly)....



There are a lot of Christmas songs that I love. I made a playlist the other day on Spotify of just a few of my favorites (and I even managed to miss one...The Happy Elf by Harry Connick, Jr.). But one of my favorites has a bit more meaning this year than it has in the past.

Happy Xmas (War Is Over). Obviously the original by John Lennon is far superior to any cover out there, but I won't deny that I love the versions by Celine Dion and The Fray. Mostly, I think I just love the song.

I woke up on Sunday morning to AP news alerts on my phone that the last of the American troops had pulled out of Iraq. For a lot of reasons, I got very excited about this. It made me smile. All those soldiers coming home just in time for Christmas? That's pretty special, if you ask me. Then I looked at my Facebook and noticed that my uncle had posted a news story about this and all he said was, "Happy Christmas. War is over." and I just started singing. My uncle, being the world's biggest Beatles fan alive, didn't surprise me when he posted this. It just made me smile and sing.

Yes, there are several others wars that continue despite the end of the Iraq war...but we deal in baby steps with things like this. And just like when a baby takes a first step, we get excited...we envision the possibilities...we see the future and it's bright and happy and stable.

So this is Christmas. Let's hope it's a good one...

If you enjoyed this post, Follow this Blog or subscribe (below) to receive updates.
Subscribe



Contact Use.The.Clutch
Follow micahdl on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insert your words here: