Friday, September 16, 2011

On showing my scars....

From time to time, Life likes to smack me up-side the head with a good reminder of how old I am. It doesn't happen all that often, but when it does...hoo boy! It's a solid reminder that I am far too old to be making the same silly choices I made in my 20s. Sometimes it feels as though my brain thinks I'm still 22 while my body is most assuredly in it's 30s.

Many times, these reminders come in the form of a good, old-fashioned hangover. I'm sure plenty of you can relate to that most wretched of feelings. I used to be able to party like a rock star....go out on school nights, dancing and drinking till all hours of the morning, and wake up after a mere 3 hours of sleep ready to kill it at the office and do it all over again. I was like a walking Katy Perry song. Then, one day, I turned 30. And I tried to do the rock star thing once. Or twice. The good thing is that I had the sense enough to attempt this on a Friday night. That's the ONLY good thing. There's nothing more embarassing than the way I am SURE I acted those two nights.

But my drunken escapades aren't really the point.

The point is that I am, we all are, prone to make silly mistakes even though we know better. It's the great chasm between ability and prudence, isn't it? Just because I can do something doesn't mean that I should do something. Mistakes are bound to happen, no matter what. It's human nature. Doing stupid things is basically part of our DNA. We play with fire, we get into shenanigans, and if we're lucky, we come out the other side relatively unscathed and without a rap sheet. The good news (I suppose), is that our mistakes never leave us completely unscathed. We are left with scars and burns and reminders and memories of the mistakes we made, which is probably life's way of helping ensure we don't do it again. Unfortunately, some (like me) tend to cover the scars with make-up and laughter and go ahead with life as though nothing happened.

Maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I let the scars show, if I let the pain exist in reality, even if only for a moment.


If you enjoyed this post, Follow this Blog or subscribe (below) to receive updates.
Subscribe




Contact Use.The.Clutch
Follow micahdl on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Insert your words here: