Monday, January 3, 2011

A decade in review....

So...it's January. The beginning of not only a new year, but a new decade! It's exciting to think about what the future holds (I have my hopes for what my own will hold) and interesting to think about all the things that have happened over the last ten years, to me and to the royal we.

In 2000, I dropped out of school (for the first time) and started working for a cabling company in town...my first "big girl" job. It was exciting and overwhelming and about a year and a half later, I chose not to work there any longer.

In 2001, a couple of guys thought it would be a good idea to run some planes into some buildings, forever changing the way I (and probably most of us) viewed the world at large. It was an epic day, for innumerable reasons. My boss at the time was from NYC and had family there as well as in the Pentagon. That day (and the following week) was a bit of a wash at the office. Two of my friends were in the Navy and I was sick every day until I found out where they were and that they were "safe" (I airquotes that because being in the military, is one every really "safe"?). That's about all I remember from that year.

2002 - 2005 were a bit messy for me, though I did start going back to school (only to drop out again about half-way through those three years). It was a time in my life that I don't really enjoy thinking about and that's okay. I did, however, meet my future husband in 2005, so that made the year a bit better for me, to say the least.

In 2006, I moved into a house with some remarkable ladies and we shared much food and laughter in that space. I miss living and learning with them. The TMJ was a fantastic place to live, no question.

In late-2007, I married the aforementioned man in the lovely town of Golden, CO. Sharing that day with most of our family and so many of our friends is something I'll never forget. I never tire of looking at our wedding photos and remembering all the magic that happened that day. The dancing, the singing, the vows, the weather...it was all perfect. I'd do it a hundred times over again, just to relive how fantastic Todd and I felt that day.

In 2008, I kicked my education into high gear by transferring to CU, which (in my estimation) has a vastly superior English Writing program to the one I was in at the time. Not only that, I started taking classes like I was a full-time student with a part-time job. I assure you, I was not. My advisors recommended that I scale things back a bit, but after having been in college since 1999, I was ready to push through and get done. I learned a lot about myself in that year and came to define myself as a "student." School consumed me, in both healthy and not-so-healthy ways.

2009 defines itself as the year we traveled like crazy. Between Japan and Alaska, our bank account dwindled, but we fell in love with parts of the world I never thought I'd see. I kind of want to move to Japan. At the very least, I'd like to visit again, hopefully at Christmastime. I hear they're nuts about Christmas over there...so I'll fit right in!

2010 brought with in about as much drama and happiness as 2005 did. I hope this isn't a pattern. Between some heavy personal things, work, school, and church, life got pretty nuts. I choose to focus on the good and eliminate the bad. I finally graduated from college, a feat that took forever, but that I refuse to diminish just because it took as long as it did. We also bought a house which, in and of itself, is worth being excited over! I love finally having our own place and being able to set it up and decorate just how we want.

So with a new decade and new possibilities in front of me, I refuse to let anything but the "good" happen to me. I resolve to live a drama-free life. I choose to be happy and joy-filled and surround myself with only the best. I've had about enough "bad" to last me several years, I think. I resolve to let GOD and Karma take care of the bullsh*t and to press on knowing that I can control much of what happens to me.

Here's to another year and another adventures!




If you enjoyed this post, Follow this Blog or subscribe (below) to receive updates.
Subscribe



1 comment:

  1. YAYAYYAYAYAY i am soo glad you correctly identified the start of the decade. i was miffed last year with all the mistaken new-decade revelry. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Insert your words here: