Thursday, May 14, 2009

Micah v. May....so it has come to this.

I hate this month. Why, you ask? Because work makes me want to put a bullet in my head nearly every day. It's too busy right now. So busy, in fact, that because there is just so much to do, I don't want to do ANYTHING.

I should enjoy this month much more. School ends for the semester, my birthday, summer is well on it's way...all things that I enjoy. And yet, all I can do is hope that it goes screaming past me so that the madness just ends.

And now that school is over for the next 3 weeks, I think I'll take some time to remember some of what happened this month.

First, we went on our first hiking trip of the year, but to Cub Lake in RMNP. It was absolutely beautiful and we got to share it with M,P & H, which was a lot of fun. It was a good way to break in the new boots and gear up for the season. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this a lot. And as I'm writing this, I'm pretty sure that I've already discussed this in a different entry. Ah, madness is slowly setting in.


Next came my birthday. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I remembered that my birthday was upon me. The day just comes and ... that's that. This year, it was on a Saturday, which was glorious. Todd took me for breakfast at one of my favorite restaurants in our old 'hood, Kyle's Kitchen, and I got to have an English muffin and cream of wheat with brown sugar...a personal favorite (really, I just love hot cereal...mmmm....)! Then I spent the afternoon alone cleaning up and putting some finishing touches on a school project. By late-afternoon, it was time to head to my pin-up girl photo shoot, which was spectacular! I felt so ANTM...and got a lot of really nice photos of me done...then it was off to M&Ps house for Cinco de Drinko with lots of good friends. Party lasted until about midnight which was purrrrfect! It was a ton of fun and just nice to relax and laugh with people I love.

School ended for me officially on Tuesday, but the semester is *actually* over on Saturday. Whatever. I've been done since Tuesday. I think I did well on my final that night and hopefully that will pan out in the gradebook. I really enjoyed all my classes this semester, ass-kicking as it may have been. It felt good, most of the time, to be challenged the way that I was. But don't kid yourself...I'm way ready for a break.

I'm teaching myself how to run, as well. Todd and I are running the Bolder Boulder this year, which is one of the biggest 10Ks in the state. It's on Memorial Day so I have one more week to get into shape for it. I did 6.2miles this evening in 1:13:30 which is about 7mins faster than I was predicting for myself. But damn did my right leg start hurting toward the end. I walked the entire last half-mile, which will be totally unacceptable at the actual Bolder Boulder. I think I would have completed my run faster tonight had I not gotten a horrible cramp in my right foot. Boo hiss. But really, the fact is, I finished 6.2miles...a feat I have never even dreamed possible.

I've been wanting to do the BB for several years now, sort of in honor of my mom. She ran every year for as long as I can remember and then her knees just gave out on her. Ever since then, I've wanted to do the BB at least ONCE before mine do the same. I have terrible knees so while I'd like to run the BB every year till I'm at least 35, I won't be surprised if I can't. So this year is it. And the BB is on my list of things to do this year and I'm very excited for it.

Turning 29 this year has been hard on me. That's all I'm going to say about that.

4 comments:

  1. woot to crossing things off of lists. that just feels goood.

    and we've had the age conversation before. 29 is bound to end up glorious. it looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiking rules, your photos are awesome, and the party on your birthday was a ton of fun.

    I stand by my original surmising that "if it's not one thing, it's another" because either school or work is going to kick your ass, or both. It's tough, but you'll get through it and come out better on the other side. You will survive!

    Oh yes, and I am VERY excited to run the BB this year. Having been a 10-year cigarette smoker and now gearing up for a 10k... well, let's just say I almost feel like those folks on TBL before they ran their half-marathon. Just didn't know I was capable of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiking is goodd... so are the thirties - brace yourself. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have no deep words of wisdom to impart, except that you can do it, you are doing it, and you're going to be amazed when you come out without long-term scars on the other end.

    but i know how you feel. hell, i've been saying i'm 27 for three months now. my annual pre-birthday preparation to cut down on the inevitable freak-out.

    ReplyDelete

Insert your words here: