Monday, October 4, 2010

On cooking up a human...

I was recently required to write a poem that had to do with something "work" related, but also had to be something entirely different. For the assignment, I needed to find the etymology of the topic I chose (baking, which should come as no surprise) and various words related to the topic. Here is what I came up with:

It’s a dry heat required for this technique.

Brewing up perfection

Layer upon layer, a masterpiece I create.

Every morsel, every crumb, every sacrificial taste

Transforms with each kneading twist of my hand,

Preparing for the final moments of searing heat.

Baubles of many colors, decorations abound.

I am a confectioner of incredible feats!

She is my soufflé of epic flavor;

Leavened and soft, sweet to the mouth, comfort to touch

Icing covers her as she rises from the fire.

My work of art, a delicious success.


__________________________________________

Todd came up with the idea to use baking as a "human factory"...he posted his version over on his blog. It's substantially more creepy than mine, but that should also come as no surprise

5 comments:

  1. I LIKEY!

    But am I supposed to read between the lines... are you pregnant? :o) Was that a random question?

    -KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear God, no. Definitely no lines to read between on this one, I assure you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure why I thought that, but I did. I feel like I haven't seen you (or the rest of the gang) in forever. That soon will change. Looking fwd to this weekend. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a suspicious conclusion to jump to!!! I guess I should be glad you didn't go the other way and assume we were trying to assemble a homunculus (not that I'd expect anyone but me to know what that is).

    What'd you think of my poem, Karla?

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this. love Love LOVE this. for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete

Insert your words here: